I. Phonetics (10 Points)
In each of the following groups of words, there are four underlined letter combinations marked A, B, C and D. Compare the underlined parts and identify the one that is different from the others in pronunciation. Mark your answer by blackening the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
1. A. height B. hopefully C. honest D. housing
2. A. generation B. mention C. memory D. metallic
3. A. persuaded B. happened C. treated D. wounded
4. A. shout B. touch C. announce D. about
5. A. excuse B. exercise C. explain D. extremely
6. A. medium B. western C. Mediterranean D. revolution
7. A. castle B. vast C. waste D. fasten
8. A. disappear B. fear C. year D. pear
9. A. doubt B. sound C. famous D. found
10. A. correct B. discover C. comfort D. come
II. Vocabulary and Structure (40 points
There are 40 incomplete sentences in this section. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose one answer that best completes the sentence and blacken the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
11. The research laboratory is going to the new type of computer to use.
A. take B. make C. put D. bring
12. The old woman has a letter from her son in the army to her.
A. read B. write C. written D. received
13. of the earth is made up of vast oceans.
A. Two-third B. Two thirds C. Two third D. Twos- third
14. Stamps which you don’t want to keep can be with others.
A. changed B. traded C. threw D. collected15. “Jack is no more careful than Tom” means .
A. Both Jack and Tom are careful B. Neither Jack nor Tom is carelessC. Both Jack and Tom are careless D. Tom is careful, but Jack isn’t
16. While cleaning a long-deserted house the other day I came an old photoof my grandpa.
A. to B. by C. across D. with
17. Jane was ill for about a week, She didn’t until yesterday.
A. get good B. get rid of C. get over D. get on
18. —I feel a bit thirsty.
—Why don’t you have tea?
A. any B. some C. little D. a few
19. When wood is burnt, it heat and light, together with heavy smoke.
A. give up B. sends up C. sends away D. sends out
20. The soldier from a wound and died a heroic .
A. died …deadly…death B. was dead…dying…deathC. died…dead…dying D. was dying…dead…death
21.—Do you think we’ll still catch the train?
—Well, we won’t we walk faster.
A. as B. unless C. until D. no matter how
22. —Do you mind if I smoke here?
A. No, please don’t B. Yes, please